The Dangers of Mold

Mold Exposure

Black mold

It can happen in any home no matter what the social class, mold, mildew and fungi are all present inside and outside the home. There are plenty of hidden spaces that mold can grow before we even know it’s there. It can inhabit any dark, moist place in or around the home including in our carpet, books or furniture. Mold can also be airborne. The trouble is that whether the mold can be seen or not, it can be very harmful to your health.

Hidden Danger

Living in a NJ home that contains mold, fungus or mildew can mean that the body is experiencing many challenges and it can eventually lead to many unpleasant symptoms. According to the CDC, Stachybotrys which is known as black mold is toxic and can cause pulmonary hemosiderosis. Mold often times grows where it cannot be seen such as between or behind walls and molds can make you sick even if they are “dead.” Every part of the US has different types of mold that grows in the region. Areas which are very humid and have plentiful rain and moisture are more susceptible to the growth of mold, mildew and fungi.

Symptoms of Mold Exposure

Most of the molds that grow in buildings which have been affected by water damage such as flooding can cause health problems such as sinusitis, asthma and respiratory infections. Some people are more sensitive to mold and can be very uncomfortable on days when humidity is high or the day is rainy and damp. Molds can also cause newly labeled diseases such as “new building syndrome” and illness related to it. Many people actually have allergic reactions to mold. This can cause skin irritation which can be seen on the surface of the skin.

Can I test for mold?

Homeowners who suspect that they are being exposed to mold can have laboratory tests done. There are also some very simple at-home test kits that can be used to detect the presence of mold. However, air samplings alone cannot detect mold spores, especially those which are not airborne. And they may not detect dead mold either which can be as toxic as the live molds are. A licensed professional who is associated with a clinically certified laboratory can check for sensitivity to mold.

Mold Prevention Tips

There are several ways to prevent mold from growing in your home. In the event that there is water damage make sure to clean it up within 24 to 48 hours to prevent mold from growing. A dehumidifier can be used to help keep the humidity level of the home at a minimum. Just be sure to change the water in the dehumidifier frequently. Keep an eye out in areas like basements, bathrooms, closets and garbage cans where mold is likely to grow. Clean the ceiling fans once a month and change out the filter in air conditioning or heater units frequently. Keeping a light on inside a closet can help reduce the humidity. Outside the home make sure to keep all the fallen leaves and decaying plants removed.

About these ads

One response to this post.

  1. Thank you Eugene. I really like your articles on home remodeling and home improvement.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,704 other followers

%d bloggers like this: