How to Get Rid of Mold

Mold vs Soap Scum

Mold vs Soap Scum

Mold can grow in areas which are humid or moist much of the time. A lot of times people live in homes with mold and never even know it is there. Of course there can be visible signs of mold such as seeing it grow on surfaces in the basement or bathroom areas of the home. But there can also be some other signs of mold; and once you determine that there is mold in the home, it is important that you take proper measures to remove it.

Common Signs of Mold Growth

In the shower or tub it is relatively easy to tell the difference between mold and soap scum. In the basement you will have to specifically look in areas that you know stay damp much of the time. There is also a pungent odor which accompanies mold growth. You may notice this when you go into certain areas of the home. You may never see mold growing beneath wallpaper or inside the walls, but you may be able to smell it. Other symptoms that mold is present are health related. Many times the symptoms are very similar to having a cold, asthma or allergic reaction as you may feel congested and your eyes may begin to water when you enter your home. These can be indicators that there are mold spores present. Sometimes a person will start to feel better when they are at work or out of the house only for these symptoms to return when they come back home.

Getting Rid of Mold

The location of the mold will dictate the method used to get rid of it. If it is on furnishings and boxes that are difficult or impossible to clean thoroughly, then they will need to be discarded. Materials that are contaminated with mold are not considered to be hazardous waste, so they can just be placed in the landfill. But it is wise to seal these types of items in plastic when possible to prevent it from spreading into the building or from others who might come into contact with it.

If the mold is located on hard surfaces, scrub the surface with soapy water, rinse it and then allow it to dry thoroughly before repainting it. There are some household cleaners that are good for removing mold such as bleach but it can be damaging to your skin or airways. Borax or vinegar are greener options for cleaning surfaces of mold.

For areas that are larger than 10 square feet, it is best to call a NJ professional who is experienced at mold removal services.

After it’s Gone

Once the mold has been removed it is important to take care of the moisture problem that caused it to begin with. Make sure that any leaky faucets are repaired so that moisture is not as likely to build up; and use a dehumidifier in the home to keep the relative humidity at a safe level. With proper moisture control, it is possible to keep mold from growing inside buildings.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 7,763 other followers

%d bloggers like this: