Tips for getting rid of mold

Vinegar

Vinegar for cleaning

Most of the time when there is mold in the NJ home the residents can suffer from various symptoms. Sometimes people who have symptoms from being exposed to mold do not know it; they think that they are suffering from a cold or hay fever. Symptoms can be different for each individual since they have different levels of sensitivity to mold. Symptoms usually appear to be about the same as allergic reactions and can include sneezing, coughing, running nose, wheezing and watery eyes. Those who are more sensitive may have more serious symptoms. There are some who are susceptible to mold infections but these do not typically occur in healthy individuals. Those who are elderly and those with compromised immune systems may suffer these types of infections. If you discover that there is mold in or around your home it is imperative to get rid of it. If the area is large call an experienced professional who knows how to remove the mold safely. For smaller areas, there are some ways to remove it from your home.

Using Bleach to Remove Mold

Bleach kills almost every kind of indoor mold. Remember that bleach can only be used on nonporous materials like bathtubs, countertops, glass and tile. Bleach is not effective for killing mold on porous surfaces since it cannot reach the roots of the mold but only kills it on the surface level. Before using bleach on nonporous surfaces make sure to properly ventilate the area. Mix one part bleach to 10 parts of water to make a solution which will be applied to the surface. You may use a spray bottle or a sponge to apply the bleach water to the surface. Unless the surface is used in preparing foods, it does not have to be rinsed. Bleach only kills mold on the surface level and it is likely that it will return. It is also a harsh chemical and gives off fumes.

Using Borax to Remove Mold

There are some advantages to using borax to kill mold. Even though borax is toxic if it is ingested, it is a natural cleaning product that does not emit dangerous fumes or use chemicals. Borax is commonly used in cleaners for toilets and drains because of its ability to deodorize. It can also be used as an herbicide, fungicide and an insecticide. It is a very inexpensive purchase at the supermarket. Mix one cup of borax into a gallon of water. Vacuum up any mold that is loose and then use a scrubbing brush to scrub the mold off of the surface. Clean up any of the excess mold or water. Refrain from rinsing the borax off since it can still help prevent mold from re-growing on the surface.

Using Vinegar to Remove Mold

Vinegar kills over 80 percent of all species of mold. It is a safe and natural cleaner and has no dangerous fumes or toxins. Vinegar is also a very inexpensive alternative for removing mold. Put some straight vinegar into a spray bottle and then spray it onto the moldy surface and let it sit there for an hour. After it has set for an hour, wipe the area off and rinse it with some water and let the area dry. Any odor of vinegar will go away in just a few hours. In order to prevent mold from growing on a surface, spray the vinegar on and let it set without rinsing the surface. Repeat this every few days to make sure that the surface continues to be free from mold. To prevent mold from growing on floors you can mop the floors with vinegar water every few days.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: