Posts Tagged ‘mold removal’

Is Mold Dangerous?

Cigarette Smoke

Woman Smoking in the Home

No matter where you live, everyone in needs to be aware of mold and the preventive measures needed to reduce the amount of mold and mildew in the air they are breathing in. If you smell a musty odor in your home or workplace, there is a good chance that it is probably mold or mildew.  Fresh air, is one of the most important components of physical and also mental health. Simply put, without clean air, the body cannot function properly.  This is one of the reasons why the presence of mold and mildew in our indoor air has been clinically associated with more than just allergic reactions. Some studies show a link between airborne mold spores and depression, and even death!

Although a small amount of mold and mildew in your NJ home won’t hurt most of us, it begins to become a big problem when the mold spores get out of hand. When quantity does get out of hand, or when individuals who are highly sensitive to toxic mold and breathe it in, it can present a serious health hazard.  In particular, there are certain types of molds that produce what are called mycotoxins. These molds are particularly dangerous and create a toxic breathing environment for you,

Eye Opening Statistics About Mold:

A groundbreaking report from 2010 stated that scientists found a direct correlation between a high presence of mold in households and depression.

Even more shockingly, studies have shown that the air inside our homes can be worse than the air outside. The average American spends around 90% of our time in enclosed buildings, and over 60% of our time in our houses.

Scientists have identified over 1,000 types of mold and mildew inside houses in the United States. More than 100,000 types of mold exist!

“Stachybotrys” is a highly-toxic type of mold that has been related to human death

Facts About Toxic Mold:

Mold lives off of any organic matter, and loves a warm, humid environment.  Most often, mildew, which is a form of mold or fungus, infests our living or workspaces when there is a high level of moisture, like a musty basement or a shower wall. It comes in through our walls, windows, doors, carpets, or under the refrigerator.  Mold spores can also be carried in on our clothing, shoes, pets and our bodies. Doctors warn against breathing in mold over long periods of time. Often times, our homes and offices are infested with toxic mold and mildew. And, because it can hide in cracks in our walls, as well as other invisible places, most of us are unaware that we are being exposed to the extremely harmful effects.

Asthma

Mold and mildew can also cause asthma. This is especially true for those who are prone to allergic reactions to a number of different substances. Asthma is a disease that affects the nose, throat, sinuses, lungs, and other airways. The throat and other airways will become inflamed, making it difficult to breathe. People may begin to wheeze, cough, and feel like they are suffocating. For those who already suffer from asthma, the condition can be made much worse by exposure to mildew and mold.

Other

A host of other ill effects can also spring from mold and mildew. Any number of different bodily tissues could become irritated, from the skin cells to the lung’s interior. Infections are more likely to set in after prolonged exposure, as mold and mildew are known to weaken the immune system. Certain types of molds, such as those known as mycotoxins, can be incredibly damaging and even fatal after repeated exposure or in conjunction with conditions that already weaken an individual, such as malnourishment, alcohol or drug abuse, or old age.
Mold growth in homes and places of work is more of a health issue than we may think. So it’s important that you recognize the symptoms of it in your home, and take steps to protect yourself and your family.

Advertisements

How to Get Rid of Mold

Mold vs Soap Scum

Mold vs Soap Scum

Mold can grow in areas which are humid or moist much of the time. A lot of times people live in homes with mold and never even know it is there. Of course there can be visible signs of mold such as seeing it grow on surfaces in the basement or bathroom areas of the home. But there can also be some other signs of mold; and once you determine that there is mold in the home, it is important that you take proper measures to remove it.

Common Signs of Mold Growth

In the shower or tub it is relatively easy to tell the difference between mold and soap scum. In the basement you will have to specifically look in areas that you know stay damp much of the time. There is also a pungent odor which accompanies mold growth. You may notice this when you go into certain areas of the home. You may never see mold growing beneath wallpaper or inside the walls, but you may be able to smell it. Other symptoms that mold is present are health related. Many times the symptoms are very similar to having a cold, asthma or allergic reaction as you may feel congested and your eyes may begin to water when you enter your home. These can be indicators that there are mold spores present. Sometimes a person will start to feel better when they are at work or out of the house only for these symptoms to return when they come back home. Continue reading

Tips for getting rid of mold

Vinegar

Vinegar for cleaning

Most of the time when there is mold in the NJ home the residents can suffer from various symptoms. Sometimes people who have symptoms from being exposed to mold do not know it; they think that they are suffering from a cold or hay fever. Symptoms can be different for each individual since they have different levels of sensitivity to mold. Symptoms usually appear to be about the same as allergic reactions and can include sneezing, coughing, running nose, wheezing and watery eyes. Those who are more sensitive may have more serious symptoms. There are some who are susceptible to mold infections but these do not typically occur in healthy individuals. Those who are elderly and those with compromised immune systems may suffer these types of infections. If you discover that there is mold in or around your home it is imperative to get rid of it. If the area is large call an experienced professional who knows how to remove the mold safely. For smaller areas, there are some ways to remove it from your home. Continue reading